Sunday, July 19, 2026

Cabbage and Potato Chowder

 I was going to make Emma's Carrot soup tonight, and realized after I had already started on the bacon that I had no carrots. However, I did have a head of cabbage...so, I pivoted.


Ingredients:
1 medium yellow Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
4 medium potatoes
1 lb Bacon
Chicken Stock OR Water with Bouillon Cubes
Sage
Cayenne Pepper


Instructions:

  1. Cut Bacon into pieces and sauté in soup pot until browned. Pour off the grease as best you can.
  2. Chop the onion, saute for two minutes with the bacon - if it is at all dry, add back a little bacon grease
  3. Chop the garlic while the onion sautés and add it to the onions and bacon - keep it on very low heat
  4. Peel and dice the potatoes and add to the mixture
  5. Fill with chicken stock or water with boullion just until the mixture is covered. Add the sage and cayenne pepper
  6. Cook on medium low for 20 minutes.
  7. Slice 1/4 of a cabbage into strings
  8. Using a potato masher, mash any chunky pieces of the potatoes that remain
  9. Add cabbage, stir, turn heat to simmer, and cook 5-7 minutes 


No comments: