Thursday, April 16, 2020

Chicken Cordon Bleu

One of my favorites as a kid was Chicken Cordon Bleu, delivered in little frozen packages from the Schwan's man. Then in college, I was severely judged for eating them by a roommate that said it looked like I was eating a hamster.

Now we try to stay away from pre-packed frozen foods, so I've explored with some recipes and created my own Chicken Cordon Bleu.

Ingredients:
(Serves 4)

2 - Chicken Breasts
Egg wash (2 eggs)
1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
Sliced Ham
Cheese - generally calls for swiss, but you can use any kind. We tried it with camembert the other day, it was excellent)
4 tablespoons Melted Butter
Toothpicks

Directions:
Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise:
Chicken Breasts Baked in Parchment | A Foodcentric Life

Pound them out to flatten them, so they will roll up easier.

How (and When) To Pound Chicken Breast: The Easiest, Smartest ...

Coat the chicken breast in the egg wash and then in the bread crumbs.

Lay the ham and cheese on the chicken, and then roll up the chicken.
Use a toothpick to keep the chicken rolled up.
Place on a baking sheet.

Bake at 420 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.

When they are done baking, pour melted butter over the tops of the chicken.

You can experiment with different fillings. I've wanted to try it with spinach or broccoli, or even bacon instead of ham! I've seen people put avocado in the inside too, not sure how that would do baking.

I like to serve with roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts or asparagus. (I don't like asparagus, but Chris does, so I make it occasionally for him).

Enjoy!

No comments: