Monday, March 2, 2009

Comfort Food: Bubbles and Squeak

Okay, so you all know this recipe I'm sure. I just want to share a few ideas we've had in the last few years regarding this meal.

Matt and I both prefer this with cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken. It doesn't confuse your protein tastebuds as much this way.

Do not use cheddar cheese with this. Its nasty. Definitely use a white cheese. I prefer mozzarella.

The Tennessee Pride brand of sausage has the best flavor. Jimmy Dean just doesn't do it justice. Don't use the sage flavor of either.

This should age at least one day before bringing it to a potluck or as a meal to someone.

Drop an egg in the leftovers and fry it up for breakfast the next morning. It makes a breakfast skillet that is way better than anything you can get at Denny's.

Boil your cabbage and potatoes in the same pot at the same time. It disguises the cabbage a lot better. And you only dirty one pot that way. After I drain the water off, I even mix everything in that pot and stick that in the oven. That cuts out another dish or two.

This is the dish that was the determining factor for whether or not I dated Matt. The day after our first date, he was coming over for dinner and I wasn't sure if I should continue the relationship. I went to lunch with my friends and they convinced me to make this for dinner. I decided that if he ate this without flinching, I'd keep dating him. Most people are repulsed when they first look at this hotdish. Anyway, he ended up finishing off the pan before the night was through. And here we are, four years later.

No comments: