Monday, May 4, 2009

Hay Stacks

I had never even heard of Hay Stacks before I joined the family. In fact, I thought it sounded really wierd when they were first described to me. However, they proved to be a terrific large-group meal, and very tasty.

I'm not sure there is an absolute ratio for ingredients here - just make enough for the group you are cooking for.

Chicken, cubed and sauted in vegetable oil
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
Milk (but not so much that it makes it runny)

Combine the above ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through.

Rice - cook per package directions

Bananas, sliced into rounds
Pineapple Chunks
Coconut
Black Olives
Sunflower Seeds
Chopped Tomatos
Chinese Noodles - the crunchy topping kind - is this what they are called?
I'm sure there are more toppings we add - add them to the comments!

To Serve:

Definitely buffet-style. Put a generous scoop of rice on your plate, cover with some chicken gravy, and then add your own toppings. Yummy!


1 comment:

Jess said...

I am considering this for my Mother's Day meal. We'll have a crowd, and it's my favorite meal. Yum!