Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Aaron’s Honey-Oatmeal-Wheat Bread

Super simple:

½ Cup Honey
2 Cups Hot Water
½ Cup Bread Flour
1 Tsp Instant Yeast.
Mix lightly, then allow to rest 10 Minutes.

Add
1-1/2 Cups Cooked Oatmeal
2 Cups Wheat Flour
2 Cups Bread Flour
Mix completely, then allow it to rest 10 Minutes.

Knead in an additional 1-1/2 Cups each of Wheat and Bread Flour.

Rise to double - 1-2 hours typically.
Punch Down, Pan (greased), rise again 1 hour.

Bake at 475 Degrees for 10 minutes, then 375 for 30-35 Minutes.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Sounds interesting and good. I'll have to try it!

Ellen said...

Is that a tablespoon of yeast or a teaspoon of yeast?

Aaron said...

It's a Teaspoon... roughly... But it could be closer to a TBSP if I feel like the yeast is at risk (too hot of water dissolving the honey, or too little gluten due to the oatmeal/whole wheat availability that morning). I'm afraid I have been channeling Grandma Elaine's approach to ingredient measurement.

Stefany said...

I'm normally the one to take care of this after Aaron mixes it all together and puts it in the bowl. I have let the first rise go up to 4 hours at times, depending on my availability. The second rise should not go longer than 1.5 hours, though, or it will get big bubbles inside.