Friday, February 3, 2012

Mom's Cornbread, or at least close to it

I used to love it when Mom made cornbread with chili. I tried to make it, too, but it never turned out the same. I remembered Jiffy cornbread mixes in her cupboard, but those were dry and crumbling, and not like Mom's. I tried various homemade recipes that said they were moist, but they weren't like Mom's.

Then, one day, while talking with Amy on the phone, she said, "you know how mom uses yellow cake mix in her cornbread?" What??? I had no idea that was the secret ingredient.

Sure enough, cornbread is now a hit at our house:

2 packages Jiffy cornbread mix
1 package Jiffy yellow cake mix
3 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup water

Really, just make them according to the directions on the package. This fits nicely in a 13x9 pan.

I baked it at 350. One box says 350, one says 400. It did fine at 350. I have no idea how long, because I rarely use timers.

No comments: