Monday, December 22, 2014

Oatmeal and Brown Sugar Bread

My friend Chelsea, here in Brazil, gave me her bread recipe after I couldn't stop eating it one evening. Spread on some Nutella and you'll be in heaven. I quadrupled the recipe today. I think the flour ended up being more than quadrupled, but I lost count somewhere and don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I used about 10 cups. It was still a little sticky when I took it out of my Bosch (I hate touching dough - I know some of you Pratts find kneading bread cathartic, but that's not my favorite thing) and put it in the bread bowl to rise, as I didn't want to go overboard and end up with heavy loaves. It wasn't too sticky after it rose, though. I still had to wash a little dough off my hands after putting them in loaf pans, but not too much. Also (amazingly), 35 minutes was really all it took for four loaves to be baked.


1 cup water
1 tsp yeast
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oatmeal (instant or old fashioned)
2 1/4 cups flour (more or less)

Knead all ingredients together. Let rise for an hour.
Shape into loaves, put in loaf pans, and let rise for another hour.

Preheat oven to 400* Fahrenheit. Slice tops of loaves lengthwise with a sharp knife (optional, but this bread cracks as it rises while baking. This slice makes it crack down the middle of the top and look cute, rather than cracking on one side and looking like an earthquake hit it).

Put in oven and immediately reduce heat to 350* F. Bake at 350* for 35 minutes.


No comments: