Saturday, January 31, 2009

Maple Nut Sticky Buns

Okay, these are pretty easy. Considering I was able to make them all by myself and they turned out good the first try, they're easy. I thought the maple syrup thing would make them taste gross, (I'm only a fan of maple syrup on certain occasions) but they were good too!

Ingredients:

1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts

1/2 cup maple syrup

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 pckg quick-rising active yeast

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup warm water (120-130 degree F)

6 tablespoons softened butter, divided

1 egg at room temp

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, divided

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Grease 13 x 9 baking pan, spread pecans and maple syrup evenly over bottom.

2. Combine 2 cups flour, granulated sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl. Mix in water, 2 tablespoons butter and egg. Beat until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining flour until soft dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

3. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 15 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread with remaining butter. Mix brown sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle over surface. Starting with a 12-inch side, roll up tightly.

4. Cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down in prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap, place on wire rack set over large pan of hot water. Let rise until buns double, 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375. Uncover buns. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool for one minute. Loosen edges, invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm.


Okay, so story with this one: I don't know if you remember last semester I had that ridiculously horrible week, and the icing on the cake was my broken car. The whole flat tire thing. Well Mike, Tom's brother, basically saved the day. On a few occasions. He kept saying it was a good break from homework, and he misses working on cars, so he didn't need anything in return. But c'mon, he's a Possin boy, he needed some food for payment. So i made these for him and brought him to his apartment. Good times.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

A suggestion for the part where you cut the rolled up dough in to slices: Use Dental Floss. Slide a piece of unused dental floss under the roll, lift both ends and pull them in opposite directions, like a pretzel. It slides right through the dough rather than dragging it back and forth and messing up that lovely cinnamon roll look. I learned this trick from Grandma Burnham.

Nancy said...

really, you have to specify "unused" when talking dental floss as a cutting utensil? because I was all out of unused dental floss. I was going to try it with the piece I used yesterday.... :)

Ms. Emma said...

I totally did it that way when i made them! My roommates were amazed and my ingenuity (that word makes me sound really smart)

It was unused, of course.