Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pepperoni Soup

Large Can of Canned Chicken Broth
Package of Hormel Sliced Pepperoni
Can of diced tomatoes (or - spicy version - can of diced tomatoes with green chiles)
Small Chopped Onion (or 1c rehydrated food storage onions)
Chopped Celery
Season to taste (Basil, Black Pepper)
Macaroni Noodles

Directions: Sautee Onions and Celery in Olive Oil. Dump other stuff in. Simmer.

Variation: Substitute white northern beans for the macaroni. It's actually better and healthier this way, but prepping white northern beans from food storage is an all-night job, so macaroni is easier when you need something quick.

Another Variation: Substitute frozen tailless shrimp for the pepperoni. If you do this, definitely do the spicey version with the green chiles - the onions are overpowering otherwise.

I have been in soup-inventing mode lately. THis is my favorite base so far: A veggie base (carrots, onions, celery) with a broth made from chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Just be sure you get the onions and celery nice and sauteed first. Once the broth is in they'll never soften up.

This one is based on a soup I had once at Sister Thomas's house in the Shingle Creek Ward - Stef and I were invited to a dinner for a Ward PEC planning meeting, and I loved the soup. Always meant to get around to asking for the recipe, it was a minestrone with pepperoni in it, but never did. Finally decided to try to recreate it myself.

3 comments:

Stefany said...

That was nothing like Sister Thomas's minestrone, from what I can remember. Nevertheless, it is very good!

Jess said...

I'm excited to try this one. I remember you saying something about it before.

Ms. Emma said...

Hey Aaron, I think you should make up a song about pepperoni soup.

Hey Melissa, don't you think "pepperoni soup" would be a good name for a band?