Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hot Pockets

I made these for Amy's crew, and I heard they were a hit. My kids love them, too. They are very freezable. Just cook them up, and toss them in the freezer, and they easily reheat in the oven. (Don't reheat them in the microwave, though. They are chewy and weird.)

1 1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 1/2 cups flour

Combine water, sugar, and yeast, and let stand about 10 mins. Mix in salt and 1 1/2 cups flour. Add flour gradually until it forms a sticky dough. (You want it a little stickier than normal bread dough, but not so sticky you can't work with it.)

Let it rise until double in size (45 mins -1 hour).

(Note: If you want to, right here, make these into breadsticks, cinnamon sticks, or pizza dough, that works, too.)

Pull off small balls and roll them out into a disc. I do one hot pocket at a time. I tried rolling out half the dough and slicing it into sections, but that didn't work as well. Put filling in (see below), and pinch the edges. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 425 for about 12-15 mins.

Now, for fillings, I have tried the following:

-chicken, spinach, cream cheese, and seasonings. I thought it was great; kids weren't fans.
-pepperoni, cheese, pizza sauce.
-sausage, cheese, marinara sauce.
-ham and cheese (Tom's favorite)

I've found 2-3 tablespoons of total filling is about right. It depends on how big of a pocket you make. My next ones, I want to do some dessert ones with pie fillings and a cinnamon/sugar sprinkle on top.

No comments: