Thursday, February 12, 2009

French Dip Sandwiches

These are my favorite. Really simple, but really good.

Hoagie buns (one for each person who's gonna be eating.)
1/2 lb roast beef (this makes about 4 sandwiches, if you're stingy.)
1/2 lb of some sort of white cheese (no I'm not racist. if you're feeling really gourmet, buy the deli havarti cheese for 8 bucks a pound)
some butter
1 packet au jus (we find this in the same aisle as the taco seasoning and all of those other little packets with the strange powders. (no thats not a drug reference, although maybe those strange poweders could cure this migraine that I've had for two days.))
2 cups water

Preheat oven to 400. Slice the hoagies and butter each side. Layer roast beef and non-racist cheese on one side of each hoagie. Stick them in the oven for about 7 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and the butter is melted.

Mix the water and the au jus powder in a sauce pan. Really, just follow the directions on the packet. No reason for me to type them out here.

Serve everything hot. Cut sandwiches into smaller pieces for those with smaller hands. If I'm feeling extra healthy (and really, I always should do this to balance out the havarti cheese) I'll steam some green beans and they taste pretty good dipped in the au jus as well.

Why is it called 'french dip' anyway? Did the french invent them? Or is it a fake out, like calling my primary instrument a 'french horn.' (its originally German, after all.) What makes this sort of thing french? Is this one of those mysteries of God that will only be answered after we die?

Can you tell I'm tired?

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Mmmmm. French dip. yummy. in response to questions posed:

It has to do with the au jus. you see, the French tend to think that foods are best in their own juices as opposed to the fat and starch laden gravy's of America. Add to that the fact that the sandwich becomes truly French if you substitute the hoagies for baguettes (they are already crunchy-crusted, no need for extra toasting) and the Havarti for Emmental or some true swiss (french swiss) cheese. A baguette sandwich is difficult to bite into due to the particular crunchy-chewy properties of the bread, but if you dip it in the au jus, the bread simply melts in your mouth.

And now I am really really hungry.

PS, I prefer Havarti on the sandwich too. It's a dutch cheese, though. Don't tell and french people. But even more important, don't tell my Belgian companion. She would be so offended. actually, come to think of it, go ahead an tell her. She was unbearable.

Stefany said...

So, if I want to cook my own roast, can I just use the juice from it, instead of using a packet? Are there any seasonings I would need to add, aside from onions, garlic, salt and pepper, which I would season the roast with in the crock pot? The reason I ask is that I tend to get stomach problems and headaches from beef bouillon, and I'm assuming that the packets will include the same ingredients.