Friday, October 3, 2008

Help me out please.

They finally took me out of music and called me to the Enrichment Committee. We had planned a small one where we would talk about food storage and we would swap easy recipes. I was going to demonstrate how to make homemade hot chocolate. Well, I got an email from the RS President today. She wants us to also include emergency preparedness, freezer meals and rotating food storage as well as how to cook with your food storage. So as it turns out, the Enrichment that I was planning for the end of the month is being taken from a small Enrichment to a full blown huge one.

Please please pass along your freezer or crock pot meals. And what you do with your food storage. Being in an apartment that is way too small for our needs, my food storage consists of fruit snacks, forumla and M and Ms. (Black market bargaining in an emergency.) I need to have a substantial recipe book compiled and done up all Relief Society-like before the 22nd. And I don't think the RSP will find it amusing if I teach all of the women that they should just can M and Ms as their emergency plan...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Chili freezes really well. So does cornbread. So I double me recipe for both and then but half in seperate ziploc freezer bags to use a couple weeks later. I also will shred a porkroast, mix in bbq sauce and put it on a bun, half a roast is more than pleanty for our family so I freeze the other half and use it another time. You can do the same thing with meatballs. I found that kind of thing helped leftovers not feel like leftovers and stetched the food budget a little farther.

Amy said...

As for food storage in a student apartment, I mostly sotred canned foods. I hated paying full price for something like tomato sauce so I stocked up when something like that was on a sale. I was less concerned about large buckets of wheat, and more about the money saving on smaller canned goods. You can always keep a rubbermaid bin in a different room with rotating canned goods if they don't fit in your cupboard. But we never really had that problem. Also even in an apartement it is a good idea to have a couple of gallons of water stored.